The history of Eschborn – from tradition to modernity

Until the end of the 19th century, Eschborn was a completely normal village in the ‘Vorder-taunus’. Today, the prosperous town is one of the most attractive business locations in Ger-many. The ‘skyline’ of the southern industrial estate is a symbol of the dynamic of a long, eventful and successful history.
The first inhabitants of Eschborn settled along the Westerbach (a tributary stream of the river Nidda) 3500 years ago, as findings of swords, arrowheads and other objects of utility show. However, it was the Romans who later left visible traces. Present-day Eschborn was situated in the hinterland of the limes, and numerous small settlements – mostly farms – established to supply the military in the district of Eschborn and Niederhöchstadt. The Romans were suc-ceeded by Alamannic tribes, who continued to use some of the Roman facilities.

The earliest written evidence refers to Eschborn as “Aschebrunne” in a deed of donation dat-ted 12th of June 770. The monastery of Lorsch received 44 serfs, a virgata of land and a vi-neyard. Niederhöchstadt first appears in the archives exactly 12 years later. The district of today was called “Eichenstat” at the time. A storm in 875 destroyed nearly all of the houses in Eschborn. In the course of reconstruction, the village was given the structure which is still visible in the town centre today.

The Thirty Years’ War once again lead to the almost complete destruction of the town. In the following centuries, Eschborn and Niederhöchstadt did not escape the repercussions of the politically turbulent times.

Eschborn’s time of prosperity began in 1874 with the construction of the railway from Frank-furt to Kronberg. In just 100 years, the population increased tenfold and in 1970, Eschborn was chartered. In 1972, municipal restructuring lead to the amalgamation of Niederhöchstadt and Eschborn. Through forward-thinking politics, Eschborn was able to entice important ser-vice providers to open branches here, which have sustainably strengthened Eschborn’s fiscal capacity.

The many international businesses which have established themselves here and continue to do so have brought the town prosperity. The disposable income of Eschborn’s inhabitants is one third above the national average, and where business tax revenue with regard to the population is concerned, Eschborn is the number one in Hessen.

The municipal coat of arms

In red, growing from a golden crown, a squared silver eagle flight, with four blue aconites in pairs, one below the other. Corresponds to the seal of the Kronberg court in Eschborn in 1617 and the municipal seals since 1843. The coat of arms adopts elements of the coats of arms of the knights of Kronberg in an altered arrangement. (Permission from the interior ministry on the 8th of February 1937).